Re: Linksys wireless USB stick

On Sunday 02 September 2007 16:36, Arthur Barlow wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Arthur Barlow(arthurbarlow@earthlink.net) is reported to have said:
> >> I am running Lenny on a Dell Latitude laptop.   The kernel version is
> >> 2.6.21.  I've been trying to get this wireless stick to work for
> >> awhile,
> >> but so far no luck, although slight progress has been made.  I
> >> determined
> >> that the chip set was Ralink and I downloaded the Linux drivers,
> >> (RT73),
> >> and compiled them.  I can now get the laptop to recognize the
> >> stick if I do
> >> the following: ifconfig rausb0 inet up.  If I do iwconfig rausb0 it
> >> recognizes that the stick is there.
> >>
> >> But, now what?  How do I get the stick to log on via DHCP to my
> >> router?
> >> Also if I try to run a command like: iwconfig rausb0 essid
> >> linksys, it
> >> accepts the command but still says that the essid is set to "off/
> >> any."
> >> Thanks for any help in advance.
> >
> > "this wireless stick" is not very informative, to me anyway.
> >
> > Have you tried to find if that "wireless stick" even works on linux
> > yet?
> >
> > google for "Manufacturer +model # of 'this wireless stick'
> > +linux".  You should
> > know more then this message will get you.
> >
> > WT
> >
> > --
> > ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
>
> The "stick" is the Linksys compact Wireless-G USB adapter, model
> WUSB54GC.  It does apparently work with Linux.

I'm no expert, but I've gotten a similar device (that uses a driver included
with the kernel) to work by using network-manager, and since I use KDE
network-manager-kde.

I also got it to work with a static ip by using fhe
following /etc/network/interfaces

# This entry denotes the loopback (127.0.0.1) interface.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This entry was created during the Debian installation
#auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.178.204
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.178.1
        dns-nameservers 192.168.178.1
        wireless_keymode open
        wireless_key your_wep_passkey here
        wireless_essid your_essid-here

where eth0 is my wired-interface, and eth1 is my wireless interface, which
appears in iwconfg as follows

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"my_essid"  Nickname:"zd1211"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:04:0E:96:0F:37
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
          Encryption key: my_key_here   Security mode:open
          Link Quality=79/100  Signal level=35/100

vmnet1    no wireless extensions.

vmnet8    no wireless extensions.

In my experience, setting up network interfaces in debian can be a really time
consuming and frustrating experience.  Unfortunately I have never found a
really good HowTo, and have always had to piece information together from
several sources.

Good luck,

Chris

--