Linksys wireless USB stick

I am running Lenny on a Dell Latitude laptop. The kernel
version is 2.6.21. I've been trying to get this wireless
stick to work for awhile, but so far no luck, although
slight progress has been made.
I determined that the chip set was Ralink and I downloaded
the Linux drivers, (RT73), and compiled them. I can now get the laptop to recognize the stick if I do the following:
ifconfig rausb0 inet up.
If I do iwconfig rausb0 it recognizes that the stick is
there.

But, now what? How do I get the stick to log on via DHCP to my router? Also if I try to run a command like:
iwconfig rausb0 essid linksys, it accepts the command but
still says that the essid is set to "off/any." Thanks for any
help in advance.

1. Which drivers did you download? (what's the file name/link)
2. You can try the rt2570 driver which is the one that you should use for the USB gizmos (the rt73 may be meant for PCMCIA cards - not so sure since it's been a year since I've done this).
3. How is your system configured - will you be using WPA-PSK or are you forced to use (eww) WEP?