Re: HP pavilion and ACPI fan

On 4/29/07, Paolo <oopla@users.sf.net> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:17:06PM +0200, Dot Deb wrote:

>       I tried to check for a reason and I found that the HP warms
>       much more (10 degrees) than the Toshiba laptop. I guess this is
>       a cooling design problem and has nothing to do with software,

if you have original MS-whatever installed, compare what happens when
running with the shipped OS. Also, check there what the pm utils knows
about the fan.

	So sorry to have completely removed any MS stuff! :)

>       although the absence of any feature under /proc/acpi/fan sounds
>       strange, I think.

depends, if the BIOS was designed to offer standard hooks to the OS; if it
was designed to talk to a proprietary pm util only, you're out of luck - or
in the need to disassemble and dig into the code of such util.

	I would think to be "out of luck" because the idea of
	disassambling *thing drives me crazy. Is there any shortcut, just
	to diagnose this problem?

	Alberto