Re: HP pavilion and ACPI fan

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:17:06PM +0200, Dot Deb wrote:

> 	I tried to check for a reason and I found that the HP warms
> 	much more (10 degrees) than the Toshiba laptop. I guess this is
> 	a cooling design problem and has nothing to do with software,

if you have original MS-whatever installed, compare what happens when
running with the shipped OS. Also, check there what the pm utils knows
about the fan.

> 	although the absence of any feature under /proc/acpi/fan sounds
> 	strange, I think.

depends, if the BIOS was designed to offer standard hooks to the OS; if it
was designed to talk to a proprietary pm util only, you're out of luck - or
in the need to disassemble and dig into the code of such util.

--
paolo