Re: Anybody using a Dell Inspiron 8500/8600 with the ATI card?

Joe,
man hibernate.conf - as Florian says, there's a lot of tricky options.
You would configure most of these options in common.conf.
You have to do experiment. For example, try VbetoolPost yes.
You seem to be looking for the 'sys2ram' (ACPI) method.
Thus, have a look into package acpi-support and /etc/default/acpi
(not acpid)
I admit i don't use susp2ram, and 2disk works on all my machines.
But i saw an BIOS option to enable/disable each suspend state
separately, plus some more options. You may look into BIOS too.

I have a GForce7300 and use Debian unstable precompiled nvidia
packages,  xorg 7.1.1 loads:
(II) NVIDIA X Driver  1.0-8776  Mon Oct 16 21:56:44 PDT 2006
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
This is still only kernel 2.6.18 though. But you could give it a try.

btw. It also says,
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized

and also
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
which i can't find in your X log.

I installed these packages (watch out this is an AMD64 PC not the laptop):
ii  nvidia-glx                          1.0.8776-4                  NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64             1.0.8776+5                  NVIDIA binary kernel module for 2.6 series c
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-amd64        1.0.8776-4+2.6.18.dfsg.1-10 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.18
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                20051028+1                  NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
ii  nvidia-kernel-source                1.0.8776-4                  NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-settings                     1.0+20060516-3              Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
ii  nvidia-xconfig                      1.0+20051122-2              The NVIDIA X Configuration Tool

I think the driver is recompiled with every kernel upgrade, therefore the
source package. I have to admit i didn't really care much about this all by now.
Because it just worked. But that's a good sign no ;)

 m°