Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 19:19:04 -0800, Long Li wrote:

[...]

> There is no error message.  But the test did not stop
> by itself, so I have to use Ctrl-C to stop it.  Here
> is the output.
>
> # speaker-test
>
> speaker-test 1.0.13
>
> Playback device is default
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> Buffer size range from 32 to 32768
> Period size range from 16 to 16384
> Using max buffer size 32768
> Periods = 4

[ snip: rest of the output, which looked normal ]

It is normal that speaker-test goes on for a while unless you terminate
it with CTRL-C. Did you hear any sound while it was running? (It should
be static or "white noise" - the same as what you hear if a radio is not
tuned to any station - but you should hear something.)

> > If you do not get any error messages but you still
> > do not hear any
> > sound, then you have to check the volume settings.
> > Run "alsamixer" and
> > make sure that the channels "Master", "Master M" and
> > "PCM" are unmuted
> > (no "MM" visible; you can toggle this with the "m"
> > key). Try to turn up
> > the volume with the cursor keys (left/right to
> > select a channel and
> > up/down to change its volume) and see if that helps.
> > (Press ESC to exit
> > alsamixer.)
>
> Yes, the "Master", "Master M" and "PCM" are unmuted.
> But when I use XMMS to play the music, or want to make
> Gnome play system sound, there is only elctrical noise
>  Is this noise problem associate with Gnome?  Is there
> some Gnome tools to configure sound card?  I can find
> the network card configuration tools
> (Desktop->Administration->Networking), it is easy to
> use.  Maybe there is similar tools for sound card.  If
> yes, which package I should install?
>
> By the way, the sound card works well in Windows XP.

I do not use Gnome, therefore I don't know anything about gnome-specific
problems. "speaker-test" is nice because it is independent of things
that can go wrong with higher-level desktop functions. Maybe it is
better to run "speaker-test -t sine" which should give you a long "beep"
sound. If you do not hear anything then you have to try to unmute more
channels. Also note that in some cases it is necessary to mute the
headphones channel in order to get sound from the normal speaker output.

--
Regards,
          Florian