Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 20:49:28 -0800, Long Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My sound card doesn't work.  I read the article
> http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm.  I guess it is
> because there is /proc/asound/sndstat file.  However,
> I did find the file /dev/sndstat.  So could you tell
> me how can I let the system generate the file
> /proc/asound/sndstat? Or which configuration file I
> need modify?

I don't think that you need to have /proc/asound/sndstat. I have a VIA
VT82C686 AC97 audio controller (which uses the same driver module as
your card) and it works without /proc/asound/sndstat existing.

> Here is the detail information of the sound card.
>
> $ lspci | grep audio
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
> Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)

[...]

> # cat /dev/sndstat
> Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.12rc1 emulation
> code)
> Kernel: Linux bchlin3076 2.6.18-3-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4
> 16:41:14 UTC 2006 i686
> Config options: 0
>
> Installed drivers:
> Type 10: ALSA emulation
>
> Card config:
> VIA 8233 with VIA1612A at 0xdc00, irq 11
>
> Audio devices:
> 0: VIA 8233 (DUPLEX)
>
> Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> Timers:
> 7: system timer
>
> Mixers:
> 0: VIA Technologies VIA1612A

All the information that you posted suggests that your card is properly
recognized and should work. How did you test the card? The easiest thing
is to run "speaker-test" from the command line and watch for error
messages.

If you do not get any error messages but you still do not hear any
sound, then you have to check the volume settings. Run "alsamixer" and
make sure that the channels "Master", "Master M" and "PCM" are unmuted
(no "MM" visible; you can toggle this with the "m" key). Try to turn up
the volume with the cursor keys (left/right to select a channel and
up/down to change its volume) and see if that helps. (Press ESC to exit
alsamixer.)

--
Regards,
          Florian