Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad

Hi,

The command

#echo -n eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay

freezes my Etch Thinkpad T40 randomly, about half the time. I must then use
Alt+Shift+SysRq to shut down.

This is the eject function of the ibm_acpi kernel module, for Thinkpad
Ultrabays.

I want to add it to my suspend script as it saves a bit of battery
life, when it works.

The logs don't show anything obvious (to me); either I don't know what to look
for, or it happens too suddenly to get logged

Google shows a few references to this, but no conclusions.

Could this be a kernel bug? Any ideas appreciated.

Regards,

John