Re: kernel 2.6.19 + Cisco 350 Wireless adapter needs manual config

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 00:05:59 +0100, Mauro Darida wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 21:48, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > ifi:~# /sbin/ifconfig
> > > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:46:90:DC:AA
> > >           UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> > >           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > >           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> > >           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> > >           Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8800
> > >
> > > lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
> > >           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
> > >           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
> > >           RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > >           TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> > >           RX bytes:800 (800.0 b)  TX bytes:800 (800.0 b)
> >
> > [ It would help if you kept the other relevant information in the
> >   thread. How are people supposed to help you if they do not know the
> >   context of this message? ]
> >
> > I assume that eth0 is not the Cisco wireless adapter. Check if you can
> > see the Cisco adapter with "ls -l /sys/class/net/". If no device is
> > created even after you do "modprobe airo" then something is probably
> > broken with your udev. Did you restore /etc/udev and /etc/hotplug like I
> > suggested in my earlier mail?
> Yes, for udev. I repeat that hotplug is not installable because it conflicts
> with udev. If I install hotplug it removes udev and vice-versa.

I did not say that you should reinstall hotplug, I suggested that you
should reinstall all currently installed packages which are supposed to
have files in /etc/hotplug. You stated in an earlier email that you had
followed the advice of someone else who had told you to delete /etc/udev
and /etc/hotplug. I can only repeat that I think it is important to get
all those files back if you want udev to work as expected. In my earlier
mail I have proposed a method to find out which packages were affected
and hence need to be reinstalled. I think it is not enough to just
reinstall udev and hal.

> Further testing reveals that the debian kernel 2.6.18-3 gives the same results
> and the cisco card remains idle and no device is created even after modprobe
> airo.
> I managed to make the cisco card to work, as previously said, only with my
> 2.6.19.1 enabling the deprecated ioctl pcmcia interface, which gives the odd
> device name "eth2_rename" (after some minutes) which then I need to configure
> manually, which is unsatisfactory.
> If the ioctl pcmcia is not enabled, then no device is created.

I cannot comment on the specific issues of the Cisco hardware, but I
think that once the device is recognized you should be able to change
its name (after the next reboot) by modifying this stanza in your
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:0f:f8:4e:00:43",
NAME="eth2_rename"

You have to check if 00:0f:f8:4e:00:43 is really the mac address of the
Cisco card. See also /usr/share/doc/udev/writing_udev_rules/index.html.

--
Regards,
          Florian