Re: kernel 2.6.19 + Cisco 350 Wireless adapter needs manual config:SOLVED

On Friday 19 January 2007 10:38, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 00:05:59 +0100, Mauro Darida wrote:

> > > [ It would help if you kept the other relevant information in the
> > >   thread. How are people supposed to help you if they do not know the
> > >   context of this message? ]
> > >
> > > I assume that eth0 is not the Cisco wireless adapter. Check if you can
> > > see the Cisco adapter with "ls -l /sys/class/net/". If no device is
> > > created even after you do "modprobe airo" then something is probably
> > > broken with your udev. Did you restore /etc/udev and /etc/hotplug like
> > > I suggested in my earlier mail?
> >
> > Yes, for udev. I repeat that hotplug is not installable because it
> > conflicts with udev. If I install hotplug it removes udev and vice-versa.
>
> I did not say that you should reinstall hotplug, I suggested that you
> should reinstall all currently installed packages which are supposed to
> have files in /etc/hotplug. You stated in an earlier email that you had
The directory /etc/hotplug is present only with hotplug installed. If hotplug
is not installed because udev and hal are installed, then
only /etc/hotplug.d/ exists.
> followed the advice of someone else who had told you to delete /etc/udev
> and /etc/hotplug. I can only repeat that I think it is important to get
> all those files back if you want udev to work as expected. In my earlier
> mail I have proposed a method to find out which packages were affected
> and hence need to be reinstalled. I think it is not enough to just
> reinstall udev and hal.
>
> > Further testing reveals that the debian kernel 2.6.18-3 gives the same
> > results and the cisco card remains idle and no device is created even
> > after modprobe airo.
> > I managed to make the cisco card to work, as previously said, only with
> > my 2.6.19.1 enabling the deprecated ioctl pcmcia interface, which gives
> > the odd device name "eth2_rename" (after some minutes) which then I need
> > to configure manually, which is unsatisfactory.
> > If the ioctl pcmcia is not enabled, then no device is created.
>
> I cannot comment on the specific issues of the Cisco hardware, but I
> think that once the device is recognized you should be able to change
> its name (after the next reboot) by modifying this stanza in your
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:0f:f8:4e:00:43",
> NAME="eth2_rename"
It is not only a matter of interface naming, it also makes me to reconfigure
the card manually, which is annoying.
> You have to check if 00:0f:f8:4e:00:43 is really the mac address of the
> Cisco card. See also /usr/share/doc/udev/writing_udev_rules/index.html.
Yes, it is.
I found that I cannot reproduce the "eth2_rename" spit out of udev. If I
recompile the kernel with udev and hal installed, now no interface is
created, even with ioctl pcmcia selected.
After many errors and trials, I found that purging udev and hal and installing
hotplug (I found that pcmcia-cs was left installed after the upgrade: a trial
with no pcmcia-cs present to see whether it interfered with pcmciautils or
something else proved to be insignificant) is the solution to my problem and
the card works as previously with sarge and 2.6.10.
I believe this is just my old setting with sarge, that's why it works; the new
one with udev, hal and pcmciautils just does not work. I believe udev is
somewhat broken, but I am no kernel expert, so I could not file a bug about
it.
Thank for replying to all.

--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.