Re: Laptop and Distro Recommendations?

Hi Stefan,

Yes, it is the ICH6 chipset (ICH6M).

I gave the daily build a try (with the 'install libata.atapi_enabled=1'
command from SataAtapiHowto) and it seems that whatever was going
wrong with Beta2 has been fixed, as it then succeeded in identifying
the DVD-RAM.

Next problem seems to be that the Debian installer is less successful
in identifying my network hardware.

Ubuntu found:
	eth0: Realtek semiconductor co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
	eth1: Intel corp. 4223 (wireless)
and DHCP configured my wireless i/f with no problem, but debian did not

Debian found:
	eth0: Ethernet or Fast Ethernet
	eth1: Realtek semiconductor co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
which does not seem to recognise the Intel device as wireless, so
it doens't prompt for SSID or mode, and I havn't managed to get
either to configure, either with DHCP or manually. I am still
experimenting.

Regards,
DigbyT

http://www.digbyt.com