Re: Laptop and Distro Recommendations?

Hi Stefan,

I have made some progress with the Fujitsu P7120 Debian install.

I found that I could get the wired network connection to work by
connecting it to a 100Mb (vs original 10Mb) hub, so I suspect that
the problem is that it is not auto-detecting the speed correctly
with Debian.

Does the 4223 require downloaded firmware? Presumably if the
firmware is not provided with the debian install, then the
driver isn't either? If it is just the firmware I need, then
I suppose it should be on the Ubuntu install disk, as it seems
to work on that..

Anyway, the Debian install did complete successfully and I think
the audio hardware was detected (it wasn't on Ubuntu 5.04), but the
installed Kernel doesn't seem to include the sata CD support
as it complains that the option 'libata.atapi_enabled' is not
recognised, and consequently the DVD-RAM is not available.
I suppose I need to recompile the kernel to get it working.

It also came up without X. An xorg.conf file was generated,
but it uses vesa rather than the i810 driver, which I gather
is unaccelerated or at least does not fully utilise the
hardware. And I havn't worked out how to get it to try to
run the server yet, so don't know if it works at all.

Regards,
DigbyT

http://www.digbyt.com