Re: Laptop and Distro Recommendations?

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 02:10:09PM -0600, Stefan Srdic wrote:
>>Thanks for the pointer. It certainly sounded hopeful, but following
>>the instructions for the Etch Beta 2 Sata ATAPI workaround didn't
>>seem to help. I get exactly the same 'No common CD-ROM drive was detected' :-/
> Use the ide-generic, ide-cd, ide-disk modules and keep the rest of the
> ide and sata drivers from loading (in expert mode) and you'll be able to
> access the CD-ROM.
>
> For some reason the install loads all drivers and then attemps
> autodetection, this causes some conflicts between drivers and screws
> things up. Which is why the cdrom isnt detected ;)
>
> Once the install is finished you can customize your kernel initrd to
> load the proper modules for your hardware.

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the tip, but I am still not getting it to work.

Here is exactly what I am trying:
1. Boot the beta 2 Etch installation CD-ROM (20060304)
2. at the prompt, enter 'expert BOOT_DEBUG=3' <return>..
3. At the shell prompt, execute
	echo options libata atapi_enabled=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/libata
   as per the Beta2 "SataAtapiHowto"
4. work through 'choose language' and 'select keyboard layout' entries
5. Select "Detect and mount CD-ROM", deselecting all IDE chipset
   modules except "generic", "disk" and "cd" as suggested (but leaving
   isofs, usb-storage and floppy)
   Select "no" for 'prompt for module parameters'
   Select "no" for starting PC card services

And I get the same "No common CD-ROM drive was detected". I also tried
omitting step 4. in case your suggestion was an alternative rather than
additional action, but obtained the same result.

In all cases, dmesg always shows:
  scsi1 : ata_piix
  ata1(0): WARNING: ATAPI is disabled, device ignored.
which suggests to me that step 3 is not having any effect.

The corresponding dmesg lines from the working Ubuntu system are:
  .
  .
  usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
  ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x14B7
  ata2: disabling port
  scsi1 : ata_piix
    Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: DVD-RAM UJ-832S   Rev: 1.01
    Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Any idea what might be going wrong??

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com