Re: Thinkpad

Hi,

On Fre, 29 Dez 2006, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> If you think you might want to run compiz or have any need for hardware
> graphics accelleration think twice before you buy a laptop with an ATI
> graphics card.

i second that, and.. power management also only work with the ATI binary
drivers.

> I have an HP Pavilion dv8000z with the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M and it
> will not work with the ATI drivers.  Loading the fglrx driver at Xserver
> startup sends the cpu into a race condition that creates so much heat
> that the laptop will spontaneously reboot within less than a minute if I
> don't manually power off the system.  I'm locked out of all the text
> consoles during that time also so there is no way to recover other than
> killing the system with the power switch.

is Xpress 200M not supported by the r300 driver?

> want/need hardware accelleration be positive that the card being used
> will work with the ATI drivers before you purchase your laptop.   Your
> chances of having an Nvidia card work with Nvidia's drivers are much better.

Intel Cards, are the one to choose.

> Now, I suspect that a part of my problems are caused by having a 64-bit
> cpu and the rest of the hardware being 32-bit, but that will probably be
> true of any other laptop with a 64-bit cpu too.  I'm forced into running
> a 32-bit OS if I want wireless that starts with the OS.  I can't use
> ndiswrapper in a pure 64-bit environment as the only Windows drivers
> available for the Broadcom chip are 32-bit and the 64-bit bcm43xx kernel
> module is something I've never gotten to work in any fashion.

thats bullshit.

your error is/was to buy an laptop and "hope" that your OS
will run on it. Is there a sticker "designed for linux" on it? Why did you
buy hardware which is known not to work under linux?
Aren't there enough reviews at tux mobile?

--
Florian Reitmeir