Re: Thinkpad (was: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?)

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:58:07AM +0100, stevendemetrius wrote:

> Have a look at this web site.
>
> http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
>
> I recommend IBM Thinpad with Etch.

Anyone bought one of these lately?  I need to replace my old Toshiba I
use for home/travel and I'm looking at the T60 wide screen.

What I'm not clear on is how to configure it -- I'm just not that up
on laptop hardware and what would work best for installing Debian with
the least amount of fuss.  I just don't have the free time I once had
to get things working.

Specifically, is there a good reason to pay $100 more for the ATI
Radeon, and also which wireless to select.  Those are the things I've
had most trouble with in the past with laptops.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/en/

It's not too hard to bump up the features to $2000USD -- which is a bit
past my price point.

Another random listing of T60s:

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?matchKeyword=true&cmd=catSearchFrame&showAdvSearch=false&invokeSearch=true&startNewSearch=true&gotoAdvSearch=false&returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuybusiness.com%2Fbbfb%2Fen%2FUS%2Fadirect%2Fbestbuy%3Fcmd%3DPartnerHomePageDisplay&returnTarget=_top&doORSearch=false&matchPrimaryKeyword=true&matchKeywordDict=true&search=&OP=&searchType=&term=&categoryPath=&categoryIDs=&domProductQueryName=T60&by_category=

And to pick one nice one at that $2000 level.

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?cmd=catProductDetail&productID=BB10709865&operation=showDetails

Oh, and any recommendations on where to buy? -- that is direct from Lenova
vs. online.

I do find the new Macbooks tempting, though.  I have an iBook and I
use it often for video ichat with work (I have an iSight camera).  And
I use it to bluetooth sync with my cell phone.  But, I find it
frustrating to use compared to my old Toshiba running Debian and
icewm.  Mac users must not have many windows open at the same time. ;)

And I miss the online support that's available when running Debian.  I
had both Apple Care (phone support) and the people at the "Genius Bar"
at the Apple store tell me to reinstall the OS when the problem was
only a mis-configured /etc/cups/client.conf -- reminded me too much of
the old days running Windows.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org