Re: suspend on laptop overheating

Hi

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:46:09AM +0200, marlin9@gmx.ch wrote:

> Tzafir,
> I got some laptops here for doing installations, which were too hot
> all the time with permanently running fan. (Yes, under Windows.)
> I think that's happening when they throw a highspeed CPU (and maybe
> not even mobile ones) into a machine that originally wasn't designed
> for the hottie.
>
> I was able to improve a little by removing a small groundplate near to the
> mainboard (usually providing access to the RAM chips or the CMOS clock battery).
> When run on main power, removing the main battery can also help.
> Of course, that's for desktop usage, no solution if you are travelling...

Hmm... I kind of afraid to mess with hardware, as it generally tends to
create mess...

However I tried CPU throtelling and had no luck before. The CPU is:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2791.511
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
bogomips        : 5586.96

> Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il>
> | > Tzafrir Cohen:
>
> After all what i've read 73 is not too much, anyway... i'd lookup the machines
> tech manual to verify it can't permanently tolerate 75° or even more.
> (Cooking your eggs isn't that funny though ;)
> But the preferred way to go would be cooling, if possible.
>

> ps. Have you checked the BIOS settings ?

Yes. Not a word there regarding shutdown and such. A very limited BIOS
setup screen.

-- Tzafrir