power supply causing network failure?

Hi all,

I have just bought a new power supply for my HP nx7010 laptop (the old one
seems to have a broken wire on the low voltage side meaning it sometimes
doesn't actually deliver power... bad).

Unfortunately, the new power supply doesn't seem to work properly with the
nx7010.

The laptop detects that it has been plugged in to a power supply (LEDs change
as usual on the front of the case) and the battery will charge up. However,
the built-in network card in the laptop (which uses the 8139cp driver)
doesn't work properly when connected to this new power supply. With the new
power supply attached, I consistently have a 15-20% packet loss (making the
network unusable); on battery or on my old power supply, I have 0% packet
loss.

The problem is persistent across reboots and there is absolutely nothing
appearing in dmesg or any of the other logs to help me work out what is going
on. I can make the problem go away just by unplugging the new power supply
either from the laptop or the wall socket, but that's not really an option. I
don't know whether the ipw2100-based wireless network is also similarly
affected as I don't have a wireless network where I am at the moment.

Has anyone ever heard of anything so strange? Any clues for a work-around?

cheers
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott                 www.nanoNANOnano.net