people asking to be CC'ed (was: Re: losing mails)

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 09:48:11 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 16:58:13 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
> >> Listen up! If you want answers to your personal troubles, pay a
> >> consultant. On this list people collaborate on solutions to problems, and
> >> share the answers. You cannot expect people to put in an extra Cc just
> >> for you, do your bit and subscribe to the list. If you don't like the
> >> daily quantity of posts, just unsubscribe again.
> >>
> >> Nothing personal,OK! Cheers, and good luck.
> >
> > The OP's behavior is perfectly OK according to the code of conduct:

> Sure it is - but it's within our rights to make him at least use google to
> find the answer when we send it back to the list.  I won't CC posters who
> can't be bothered to subscribe, either.  The list is supposed to be
> collaborative, and asking for CCs because you're not subscribed just sounds
> to me like you don't want to collaborate, you just want a freebie.

I largely agree with you. (Of course, in a perfect world everybody would
know how to set the Mail-Followup-To header and everybody else's email
program would automatically know how to deal with that in the context of
mailing lists.)

I mainly wanted to point out the following: If a new Debian user reads
the code of conduct for the Debian mailing lists, then he/she finds that
it is OK to post without subscribing, as long as you mention this fact
in your mail. Furthermore it is stated:

* When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
  copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
  copied.

This at least suggests that it is also OK to ask for a CC to one's
personal email address. So now our hypothetical new user sends an email
to the list which is, to the best of his/her knowledge, conforming to
the list policy, and gets something in return which borders on a flame.
Is this really how we want to be seen by new users on first contact?

--
Regards,
          Florian