Re: Laptop Shopping Questions

On (17/05/06 23:57), Scarletdown wrote:
> I ended up going with a Gateway MX6440 instead of the Acer, since the
> specs were a little better, it uses an ATI graphics chipset instead of
> SiS, it was on sale for about $800 at Best Buy, and I was able to pop a
> Mepis CD into the display model at Best Buy to give it the penguin test.
>
> So far, I've managed to get the Ethernet adapter working, and get X up
> and running, but for some reason, I can't install KDE due to a buttload
> of dependency problems.  It's starting to look like KDE is simply not
> installable on an AMD64 kernel.

You don't say which flavour you're installing; if etch/sid it's probably
a temporary dependency problem.  I used to run KDE here but have moved
to xfce/enlightenment.

> > Setting up the chroot was pretty straightforward following the howto:
> > https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463
> >

> WTF is a chroot?  I checked out the above site, and am confused enough
> to the point where I am considering just installing a 32-bit kernel
> instead of trying to get 32 bit apps to work on a 64 bit kernel.

Hehe! When I first got my machine I installed a 32bit system just to
have a working system fairly quickly.  I then installed a 64bit system
and worked through the howto step by step; it was pretty successful and
I didn't need the 32bit install at all.

>From my not technical viewpoint, a chroot is a separate system
accessible from your running system.  It could conceivably be a fedora
or other system.  Following the amd64 howto, enables you to run the 32bit
applications such as openoffice (within the chroot) from your 64bit
system.  It makes life a little more complicated but you'll learn quite
a lot from doing it.

Regards

Clive

--