cannot use usb after system resume

I have installed debian etch on a Dell D410 notebook. It works great,
and everything I needed so far is working, including hibernate to disk.

I have one issue, though. After a suspend/resume cycle, usb storage is
no longer recognized by the kernel (linux-image-2.6.15-1-686) when
plugged in.

After the suspend/resume cycle, when the usb device is plugged, dmesg
shows no output at all. I have tried to unload-load the usb kernel
modules, but without success.

Can someone point me to the right path of investigation?

Pedro