Laptop Shopping Questions

I'm finally shopping for a decent laptop, and will of course be putting
Debian on it.  There is one in particular that I have in mind that seems
to have a pretty decent bang for the buck; the Acer Aspire
AS5003WLMi-XPH.

However, since I am buying via mail order instead of locally, I am
obviously unable to give it a test drive with a live CD distro like
Mepis or Knoppix.

Here's the specs on it...

http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=17993603

Would this be suitable for a Debian notebook?  Also, what with it having
an AMD 64 bit CPU, I would most likely want to run a 64 bit kernel.  Are
there a decent amount of apps available for 64 bit Linux?  I
particularly need stuff like OpenOffice, Firefox, Evolution, GAIM, GIMP,
XINE, etc (the usual package of stuff for a general purpose system).
Are there 64 bit versions of these available?  And if not, will the
32-bit versions work on a 64 bit architecture?