Re: cdrom problem installing etch

Daniele wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I am an old Debian user and I would like to update a little bit my Toshiba M40
>laptop. I am trying to install etch (now I have sarge) on the Toshiba.
>Unfortunately the etch installer is unable to mount the cdrom. It begins the
>installation without any problem until the detection and mounting of the
>cdrom drive. It complains that there is no driver for the cdrom.
>I have never had this kind of problem installing sarge!  :-(
>As far as I know my DVD-RW drive should be a quite common EIDE device....
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Daniele

Daniele,

    There has recently been a lot of new "laptop" users who've had the
exact same problem. If you search the May 2006 archives you should find
the information that your looking for.  Also, the D-I team has a
workaround available:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto

I have an M40  (JM8) as well, after the installation issues everything
was fine. Everything works (including the ICH6 modem and media card
reader) except for the firewire interface.

Stefan