Re: cdrom problem installing etch

I managed to install on my Dell Inspiron 6000 using these instructions, which are quite simple:

<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto>

After installation, I recompiled a custom kernel with ata_piix built in - this meant I could get rid of the whole initrd thing, which seems unnecessarily complicated in this situation. I gather it might make things easier when I get round to trying suspend-to-disk as well.

If you do compile ata_piix into your kernel, you'll need to arrange for a boot option
 libata.atapi_enabled=1
to be passed to the kernel. Alternatively, there are various simple patches around (do this _before_ you compile!) which enable it by default.

Martin Bright

--
Martin Bright
Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool