Re: cdrom problem installing etch

Thank you all for the answers!!

Finally I managed to install etch using the workaround available here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto

as suggested by Stefan. The problem with SATA was solved both with cdrom and
disk.
Almost everything was ok (except for the ethernet - the Yukon chipset version
2 of a Marvell Gigabit Ethernet - but I solved the problem with the
proprietary driver ...sigh...).

Thanks again all

Daniele

Alle 17:06, mercoledì 17 maggio 2006, Stefan Srdic ha scritto:
> Daniele wrote:
> >Hi all
> >
> >I am an old Debian user and I would like to update a little bit my Toshiba
> > M40 laptop. I am trying to install etch (now I have sarge) on the
> > Toshiba. Unfortunately the etch installer is unable to mount the cdrom.
> > It begins the installation without any problem until the detection and
> > mounting of the cdrom drive. It complains that there is no driver for the
> > cdrom.
> >I have never had this kind of problem installing sarge!  :-(
> >As far as I know my DVD-RW drive should be a quite common EIDE device....
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Daniele
>
> Daniele,
>
>     There has recently been a lot of new "laptop" users who've had the
> exact same problem. If you search the May 2006 archives you should find
> the information that your looking for.  Also, the D-I team has a
> workaround available:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto
>
> I have an M40  (JM8) as well, after the installation issues everything
> was fine. Everything works (including the ICH6 modem and media card
> reader) except for the firewire interface.
>
> Stefan

Daniele Iencinella
E-mail: d_iencinella@yahoo.it