Re: Installing Sarge on Dell Inspiron 9400

Hi,

Thank you. It seems libata is compiled as a module in Kenshi Muto's
custom installer (he is using a stock debian kernel from unstable).
I confirm this by "find /lib/modules/2.6.15-1-686-smp/ -name *ata* -print"
which shows :

/lib/modules/2.6.15-1-686-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/libata.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-1-686-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/ata_piix.ko

among others. Also the kernel config file in /boot shows

CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=m
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=m

So I did create a file /etc/modutils/libata with content :

add options libata atapi_enabled=1

and ran update-modules.modutils  which did add the required
line :

add options libata atapi_enabled=1

to /etc/modules.conf

However on rebooting the problem persists. Your identification
of the problem seems to be right on target (thank you) as dmesg
shows me :

ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe

Does this mean I have to prevent ide-core, ide-disk, ide-cd modules
form loading. Can I use modutils for this ? Could you kindly point
me to any docs on how it is done ? (I can recompile my kernel only
after I have a reasonable debian install with kpkg). In general
what must one read to understand all the details about modules,
initrd images etc ?

I did try looking in the bios if there was any option to turn of
ide compatibility mode for the cd/dvd. I could find none. The bios
seems to be very minimalistic compared to those I was familiar with
from a few years ago. There are very few things that can be changed.

regards
b thomas