Re: Installing Sarge on Dell Inspiron 9400

Hi,

Yep the cd does load sata drives (libata, ata_piix). It was an issue
with /etc/fstab. I changed /dev/hda to /dev/sda and that worked. Thank
you. But there is still an issue with the sata drivers. I am able to boot
of the hard drive now and base-config starts up. However base config
can not detect the sata cd/dvd. "dmesg | grep ATAPI" shows :

ata2: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata2: WARNING: ATAPI is disabled, device ignored

"lsmod" shows :

ide_cd
cdrom
ata_piix
libata
scsi_mod
sd_mod
ide_core
generic

and a many others.

A google search indicated that adding a boot param
libata.atapi_enabled=1 should help. Doing so either in grub menu.lst or
at boot time still results in the same problem.

Just to confirm "uname -r" shows :
2.6.15-1-686-smp

As far as I could tell 2.6.15 should accept the boot param and sata
cd/dvd should be detected. I am clueless here. Could it be that ide_cd
is interfering with sata cd/dvd detection. Is there a way to remove the
ATAPI CD module from the installed kernel ?

regards
b thomas