Re: Installing Sarge on Dell Inspiron 9400

B Thomas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to install Sarge on Inspiron 9400. Could you please
>advice on what would be the more convienent way to go about this.
>
>I did try installing with Kenshi Muto's custom sarge installer
>( http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ ) that uses a 2.6.15 kernel.
>This way the base install went perfectly. The sata hard drive,
>cd/dvd were all recognised. However after the first reboot
>installation stoped at a bash prompt with the error message
>stating /dev/hda1 was not detected. Could you please point me
>to the docs that explain why the installer is looking for /dev/hda1
>instead of /dev/sda1. Is it possible to resume installation at
>this stage, so that I can get a minimal system to compile
>a new kernel ?
>
>Would it be possible to get a pure stable distribution installed
>using the etch installer ?
>
>regards
>b thomas

Are you sure that the cutomized installer used the SATA drivers? It is
possible that the installer simply adressed the SATA hardware in
ide-compatibility mode.

If you really did use the SATA drivers to install the base system then
you now need to generate a proper initrd for your system. The stock
debian kernel images tend to load a generic initrd that does not
function too well with SATA or RAID based systems.

If the base installation has completed successfully then all you need to
do is rescue the installation. Does that CD contain a rescue mode? If so
then all you need to do is run the rescue program.

>From there you can use mkinitrd to generate a new initrd. You can even
edit /etc/fstab and change all references of /dev/sd* to /dev/hd* just
to get your system booting.

Stefan