Re: Installing Sarge on Dell Inspiron 9400

B Thomas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Yep the cd does load sata drives (libata, ata_piix). It was an issue
>with /etc/fstab. I changed /dev/hda to /dev/sda and that worked. Thank
>you. But there is still an issue with the sata drivers. I am able to boot
>of the hard drive now and base-config starts up. However base config
>can not detect the sata cd/dvd. "dmesg | grep ATAPI" shows :
>
>ata2: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
>ata2: WARNING: ATAPI is disabled, device ignored
>
>"lsmod" shows :
>
>ide_cd
>cdrom
>ata_piix
>libata
>scsi_mod
>sd_mod
>ide_core
>generic
>
>and a many others.
>
>A google search indicated that adding a boot param
>libata.atapi_enabled=1 should help. Doing so either in grub menu.lst or
>at boot time still results in the same problem.
>
>Just to confirm "uname -r" shows :
>2.6.15-1-686-smp
>
>As far as I could tell 2.6.15 should accept the boot param and sata
>cd/dvd should be detected. I am clueless here. Could it be that ide_cd
>is interfering with sata cd/dvd detection. Is there a way to remove the
>ATAPI CD module from the installed kernel ?
>
>regards
>b thomas

Cool, yesterday there was a user who basically had the same problem that
you now face. Read the following post:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2006/05/msg00007.html

It should cover most of your questions ;)

Post back here if you need more help.

Stefan