Re: ieee80211 package not installable

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 12:05:50AM +1000, John O'Hagan wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:22 pm, David Riggs wrote:
> [...]
> >  >
> >  >     apt-get source ieee80211-source
> >
> [...]
> >
> > I did "apt-cache source" and it downloaded OK. Why is it not found with
> > aptitude?
> >
> > But I cannot get module-assistant to compile it, does not know about
> > (maybe because it came in via apt-get, not aptitude?). I just did a
> > smooth module-assistant for the ipw2200 companion software.
> >
> > Any idea how to get the module-assistant to find it?
> >

> I seem to remember that ieee80211-source fell through a crack as far as
> module-assistant was concerned around the time Sarge went stable; all fixed
> in Etch now, of course.
>
> In my case I fixed it by manually adding the name of the package
> (ieee80211-source) to the list of packages
> in /usr/share/modass/compliant.list.

I would suggest you to get the latest kernel (2.6.16-7 or later, .deb
packs available in the main archive) and compile the ieee80211 and
ipw2200 drivers provided, instead of downloading the source packages and
building it separately.

The driver versions included into the kernel are the same (or almost) as
the versions provided by the debian source packages.

As noted before, the ipw2200 is rather unstable and freezes quite often,
however, for some magic/unknown reason, I have experienced much less
freezes/trouble with the ipw2200 driver after I compiled it from the
2.6.16-7 kernel, instead of the separate source packages.