Re: ieee80211 package not installable

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:40:03 +0900, David Riggs wrote:
> Thanks to help from the list I am most of the way through getting the
> iwp2200 wireless chip on my Thinkpad R50e to work. Upgraded my
> Sarge/Stable to 2.6 kernel and installed everything but:
>
> But I cannot get the ieee80211 package to come in via apt. I have the
> testing sources (tried various sites) but that package never appears. It
> is listed on the web directory of packages as testing/net and unstable net.
>
> Is there something different about this package? Like not being just for
> one architecture? Anyway, any help much appreciated.

The package is called ieee80211-source and is available for all
architectures. I am on Sid and the module is included in my kernel now,
but this is what I remember from building it separately for older
kernels:

apt-get install ipw2200-source ieee80211-source
cd /usr/src
tar -xzvf ieee80211-source.tar.gz
tar -xzvf ipw2200-source.tar.gz
module-assistant a-i ieee80211 ipw2200
modprobe ipw2200
iwconfig

I would expect that this works for you, too, if you have the correct
entries for a testing repository in your /etc/apt/sources.list. For
reference, these are my "testing" lines:

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

--
Regards,