Re: After upgrading kernel, usb webcam is default sound device

Also sprach Anders Ellenshøj Andersen <andersa@ellenshoej.dk> (Mon, 17
Apr 2006 15:09:39 +0200):
> mandag 17 april 2006 14:21 skrev Richard Mittendorfer:
> > So, my workaround would be to blacklist the camera module for the
> > early hardware initialization (udev/hotplug - see
> > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist or /etc/hotplug/blacklist[.d] or something
> > like that and put the name of the camera module in there) and load
> > it later via /etc/modules or by hand when needed (it may also
> > shorten batterylifetime if activated but unused). This will bring
> > intels' soundcard into first place again.
>
> Ehh huh?
>
> /etc/modules is the first to get loaded right?

I'm not sure about that. But it would be logical to make it work that
way. It's about putting parameters in there for loading the modules if
you can't find the better place to advise udev/hotplug to use them. So
putting "snd_intel8x0 index=0 .." there may well do the trick.

Using index options in /etc/modprobe.d/sound would be the better
solution, as udevd/hotplugd read these files AFAIK.

> Anyway putting the other modules in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d _almost_
> did the  trick. I really don't need the other two modules under normal
> circumstances.

Which two? Modem and Cam? ...

> The SI7012 sound card is not marked as default though, and I suspect

...then this one should be default. Which one gets the first device
then?

> this is  why, arts still can't seem to find it (so no jingle when KDE
> loads).  Kaffeine/xine works fine though, which is the main thing.

Kaffeine/xine may use /dev/dsp or bypass artsd? If a sound daemon is
running it would be better to use it. If the soundcard's alsa is able to
do hardwaremixing it might be ok too, as it then can handle both
streams simultanous.

I don't know KDE/artsd, but esd can be configured for a specific
sounddevice (/etc/esound/ or ~/). Sure this is true for artsd too. Have
a look into the manpages or /usr/share/doc/<packetname>.

> Anders

sl ritch