Re: X windows hang (green screen) when upgraded from A03 to A08 BIOS on Dell Latitude D400.

Amarendra Godbole wrote:
On 2/19/06, Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro> wrote:

I upgraded from A03 to A08 BIOS for Dell Latitude D400, which runs
Debian sarge. Now, when it boots, I get a complete green screen. This
seems to be caused because of the BIOS upgrade, as with A03 things
were fine.

Do you get it in console or X? Do you have framebuffer enabled? What kernel are you using?

I got it in X. The machine boots into KDE by default. I am not sure of
framebuffer, but I think I *do* have it enabled. I am using stock
2.6.8-2-386 kernel.

I tried searching Google for the way to check framebuffer, or to
disable it - but it has left me confused. I am using XFree86 for
display.

How do I check for the framebuffer, or a way to disable it? Thanks!

If you can still switch to a terminal after X/KDE fails to start (CTRL +
ALT + F1), or if you can log in to the laptop remotely, then you should
run the following command:

egrep "\((EE|WW)\)" /var/log/XFree86.0.log

This will show all errors and warnings of XFree86. If you post the
output here, someone will probably be able to help you further. Also
post your configuration file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (this will tell us
what video driver you are using).

Regards,
             Florian