Re: xserver-xorg hangs with radeon / ati driver

Hi,

>   flgrx is delivered as only binary and Ati says that this binary driver
will only work for 6.8, it is not a constraint from xorg.

I don't think so. Since ATI drivers are proprietary, it is up to Debian to
classify the dependencies. And there are a couple of people out there
using the latest fglrx from ATI with X.Org 6.9 even though they don't
support it. Never mind, I don't need fglrx as everything works in X.Org
6.8.

>   I found that the xorg 6.8 locked my system (desktop) so I had to upgrde
> to 6.9 and no problems now with a Radeon X600. Are you using composite?
I > would advise to put it off in case of problems. And in case of more
> problems I would disable all accelarations just to try to debug the
> problem Option "NoAccel" in the xorg.conf.

I'm running X.Org 6.8 now and everything's fine, just like before the
upgrade. No more debugging necessary. I wasn't using composite.

>   FYI, I use 1280x1024.

I have 1400x1050 and 1280x1024 as ModeLine in my xorg.conf, but the vesa
driver ignores it. GNOME doesn't let me set the resolution to something
higher than 1024x768, either. How do you get 1280x1024?

>   As I told you before I wouldn't use 6.8 for this card.

Doesn't matter. I've been using 6.8 with this card (FireGL T2 Mobile) for
two months now and have had no problems. The upgrade to 6.9 _brought_ the
problem, so I downgraded again.

Regards,
André