Re: easy laptop install?

Richard Lyons wrote:

Are there distros that install on laptops with as much success as
standard net-install does on a desktop?  I know that some live cd's
overcome hardware issues better than the normal install.  I originally
arrived at debian via knoppix3.1, for example.  I keep seeing ubuntu
mentioned here.  I have reached the point when I would settle for a
derived system that worked even against my preference to keep all
machines on debian.

I have no solutions, but would like to express my empathy, having exactly the same sort of experience and reactions (still trying to get a satisfactory install on my Mebius laptop).

Both of my desktops (both Dell, one rather new, and one rather old) get take a Sid install with no problems. And I have an oddball Clevo laptop that is also running Etch, with no problems. But on my Mebius, no standard installation of Debian will run (without a *considerable* amount of work). With Knoppix 4.02, I can get a fully functional system running, but after this I cannot touch a thing, as any sort of apt-get procedure wrecks KDE. Ubuntu won't give me decent screen resolution. Based on prior experience, I suppose Mebius might work, but then I am automatically cut off from the mainstream Debian apt sources.

I look forward to the day when laptop support is fleshed out.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities