Re: Reconfiguring network on the fly

Neil McGovern wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:20:20PM +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while meaning to ask about getting my [oldish] laptop 'mobile' - being able to change from 'home' use to 'office' use.
At home we have a static ip setup, whilst at the 'office' it's dhcp.

Have a look at whereami and ifplugd :)

Neil

I did try several apps to do it for me including guessnet but none of them worked and required editing several config files.

I haven't tried whereami nor ifplug but the simple
'# dhcpcd eth0' works and I don't even need to do all the ifdown/ifup stuff because when I have finished at the 'office' I just turn off my laptop and the next time I use it [at home] it reverts back to the static ip setup that I need -- no config files need to be edited.

It is just a simple solution to my simple needs - KISS :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net/

Messianic E-Cards.com