Reconfiguring network on the fly

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while meaning to ask about getting my [oldish] laptop 'mobile' - being able to change from 'home' use to 'office' use.
At home we have a static ip setup, whilst at the 'office' it's dhcp.

Anyway I recently found one way and wanted to share it; it is a simple way to change network settngs on the fly, ymmv:

To Switch Network Setups On The Fly (on reboot original setup is used):
With the laptop already running (and configured using static ip) as root:
# dhcpcd eth0 (this configures the nic to dhcp)
# dhcpcd -k eth0 (to disconnect)
# ifdown eth0
# ifup eth0 (to get the static ip config working again).

Hope this is of some use to others.
If you know a better way then do share it :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net/

Messianic E-Cards.com