Re: bug in etch pcmcia NIC configuration?

neologix@free.fr wrote:

Selon neologix@free.fr:

Hello.
I submitted a bug report against debian-installer saying this:

Package: debian-installer

I installed Debian with the Sarge netinstall cdrom, version 3.1r1.
During the installation, the pcmcia networking card were recognized without
problem.
But after the first reboot, the card wasn't brought up. The proper modules
were
loaded, but it seems that ifupdown doesn't bring it up at startup, or when
using /etc/init.d/networking/start

Changing

mapping hotplug
  script grep
  map eth0

auto eth0

in /etc/network/interfaces solved the problem.
I know this isn't the official way for pcmcia cards, but mapping with
hotplug
fails.
I've been told that it was proably a Sarge-only issue, and was therefore
closed.

But I'm running Etch up-to-date, and putting this in the
/etc/network/interfaces
fails:
mapping hotplug
   script grep
   map eth0
The only way to bring my networking pcmcia card up is the standard way, "auto
eth0".

Any idea?

Just found out that putting
allow-hotplug ethx

before the mapping in '/etc/network/interfaces' solves the problem.
I don't know if it has been corrected in Etch install.

Count yourself lucky..! I've already spent over 2 weeks trying to do an etch net install over a 3com pc card nic + cable modem and observed the exact same symptoms.. initial phase ok but after reboot the network interface stubbornly refuses to come up. I tried adding the allow-hotplug statement to network/interfaces.. and since it had worked in your case I tried it again last night.. well this time I did manage to connect.. just once.. but since I had done so many different things to bring up eth0.. I was never able to reproduce.. From what I have seen (both with my install and a whole gamut of debian-derived live cd's..) it seems that with a kernel >= 2.6.8 (the most recent that comes with sarge and incidentally does not use that hotplug thing..) and up to 2.6.12 at least.. pc card support is broken and bringing up networking is near impossible. On a sarge system both with 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 I boot the laptop and I'm up.. So unless something has changed over the last couple of weeks you will find that etch installs the same buggy network/interface file and you will run into the same problem - and if you depend on dhcp for your nic's configuration you're on your way to a really frustrating experience... As I see it pcmcia support has been dropped and somebody just forgot to mention it in the release notes..!