bug in etch pcmcia NIC configuration?

Hello.
I submitted a bug report against debian-installer saying this:

> Package: debian-installer
>
> I installed Debian with the Sarge netinstall cdrom, version 3.1r1.
> During the installation, the pcmcia networking card were recognized without
> problem.
> But after the first reboot, the card wasn't brought up. The proper modules
were
> loaded, but it seems that ifupdown doesn't bring it up at startup, or when
> using /etc/init.d/networking/start
>
> Changing
>
> mapping hotplug
>    script grep
>    map eth0

> auto eth0
>
> in /etc/network/interfaces solved the problem.
> I know this isn't the official way for pcmcia cards, but mapping with hotplug
> fails.

I've been told that it was proably a Sarge-only issue, and was therefore closed.

But I'm running Etch up-to-date, and putting this in the /etc/network/interfaces
fails:
 mapping hotplug
    script grep
    map eth0
The only way to bring my networking pcmcia card up is the standard way, "auto
eth0".

Any idea?