Re: debian on a sony vaio a517b

On January 22, 2006 09:33, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 07:52:56AM -0800, Marco Milanesi wrote:
>
> > > that's sonypi's responsibility and you won't get them as X events
> > > anyway.
> > > # modprobe sonypi
> > > sonypi: Sony Programmable I/O Controller Driver v1.26.
> > > sonypi: detected type2 model, verbose = 0, fnkeyinit = off, camera =
> > > off, compat = off, mask = 0xffffffff, useinput = on, acpi = on sonypi:
> > > enabled at irq=11, port1=0x1080, port2=0x1084
> > > sonypi: device allocated minor is 63
> > > input: Sony Vaio Jogdial as /class/input/input10
> > > input: Sony Vaio Keys as /class/input/input11
> >
> > ah! so there's a /dev/sonypi that provides the events
>
> or some /dev/input/event device, see the content of
> /proc/bus/input/devices for a hint.
>
> > > and
> > > # apt-cache show rsjog
> > > for an application that handles them
> >
> > yeah, but I don't have a scrollwheel. how for example I can make fn-f5
> > call spicctrl to decrease brightness and fn-f6 to increase brightness?
>
> don't know, I don't use it but the description says it handles vaio
> keys.
>
> --
> mattia
>
> :wq!
Regarding those action keys...

I had one problem with the /dev/sonypi device: when klaptopdaemon was running
it would somehow gobble up all the events from that device, preventing other
applications from monitoring it and reacting to events.

There are alternatives though.  If your buttons are generating ACPI events,
you can tell acpid to run a command for them.  You can see whether events are
being generated by monitoring the /var/log/acpid.  You can map the events to
commands by placing one file per event in /etc/acpi/events.  The files should
look something like this:

event=sony/hotkey SPIC 00000001 00000010
action=/etc/acpi/sonybright.sh down

Action can be any command---for instance, a call to dcop to tell kmix to lower
the volume.

Yet another option is evrouter
(http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_evrouter.html).  It allows you to
map any input event to a command.  I use this on my laptop for my function
keys and on my desktop to get all those multimedia keys to do something
useful.  It almost writes itself a configuration file, so it's very easy to
set up.

Kmilo might also work for you, but it never has for me.

Hope that helps

Luca

ps:  getting KDE on Ubuntu would probably have been as easy as installing the
kubuntu-desktop package :-)