Re: Help for X

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 07:06:20 -0800
Ryoji Takahashi <ryoji@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just update the latest unstable version of debain in Lattitude D600
> (Dell)
> then, X does not start properly ... i just have black screen.  I cannot
> kill this
> do someone knows how to kill X?  I've tried Ctrl+Alt+Backspace ...
> +F[1-5], however it never works.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> r.
>

> --

It locks pretty bad :( You will need to boot in rescue mode. Try a "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" . After you're done just do "init 2" or "exit". If than doesn't work than remove /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm (or kdm/xdm). Now the "init 2" will get you to a console and have more chances in debugging X (on the next reboot it will start only with a console). First you can try to start just xinit, maybe with some debugging options. man xinit and docs in /usr/share/doc/xserver-... will have more info on debugging and you can also check the log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log)

To make it start in graphic mode again you can either copy S99gdm from /etc/rc3.d/ or change default run-level in /etc/inittab to 3. Of course, i assume you haven't customized your run-levels

HTH
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)