Re: ACPI problem: console and X black after resume on supsend-to-ram

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 11:20 +0100, Kai Hildebrandt wrote:

> > I have an R50p, and suspend to ram works for me, as well as getting
> > the video restored after a suspend.
> >
> How did you manage that?
>
> Which tools do I need to install and configure?
>
> Which kernel version and patches are you using?
>
> > Until recently the text-mode video did not work, but then I read
> > something somewhere suggesting to use the Radeon FB rather than the
> > VESA, and now that works too.
> >
> New or old radeon driver?
>
> The new driver has an option: DDC/I2C support. What is ist an do you use
> it?
>
> There are two in the kernel.

I'm currently running 2.6.10, without any patches.  The configuration I
have is for the new radeon driver.  I built my kernel using the
make-kpkg utility from the kernel-package package, so I can make the
actual kernel available for download (and the package will include
the .config, of course).  I also have madwifi packages to go along with
that.

Here is the critical section from that .config file:

#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING=y
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

> > My only disappointment is that the ATI FireGL T2 drivers do not handle
> > suspend / resume, making them effectively useless.
> >
> Which drivers? fgrlx from ATI?

Yes, those ones.  Unfortunately they suck, for laptops, since the fglrx
drivers do not support suspend / resume :-(

For X I just use the XFree86 ones (ati) and put up with unaccelerated
video, since suspend resume is _much_ more important to me.

> A lot of questions... :-)

Hopefully this has answered them.

Regards,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
            Where are they now? http://schoolreunions.co.nz/