Re: poor tft display/misconfiguration. some hints?

Op di 04-01-2005, om 16:07 schreef Leonardo Canducci:
> > i830 is the drm driver from the kernel. Don't worry about it; it'll be
> > replaced by the i915 in the future. A much better name, don't you think?
> > :-)
> so why not calling it i830 in XF86Config-4? (I've even tried changing
> i810 with i830 and of course it doesn't work).

There is no i830 driver for XFree86. In my admittedly somewhat limited
understanding, the i830 drm driver is only used for dri clients. This is
apart from the 'normal' videodriver that X uses, such as the i810 driver
or the vesa driver. You can safely remove the i830 driver and still use
XFree86. You just wouldn't have dri anymore, which may cause OpenGL apps
to run slower.

> > You can check the output of /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see if the i810
> > driver loads without problems.
> no EE entries. so I think it's ok.

No EE entries doesn't necessarily mean that the i810 driver is loaded,
but if you're happy, so am I :-)

> of course I use native resolution. and I'm not saying that my problem is
> related to the xfree module. it may sound quite vague but the tft issues
> I'm talking about are:
> - colors are not natural at all
> - and detail of my pictures is really poor (compared to the 17" tft I
>   use in my desktop)
> - my major regret is that I can't tweak any display setting as I could
>   in the other TFT disply, and try to fix things up
> is there some tool to tweak brightness/color/contrast/ecc. for a
> laptop's tft?

There is 'xgamma', but it's up to the X driver to do anything usefull
with the gamma setting. For the i810, it doesn't seem to have any
effect. You do probably have some keys on the laptop to adjust the
backlight. Other than that, I wouldn't know of such a tweak.

Try finding some test image, maybe that'll give some information.
Otherwise, I'd try Windows, to see if it is a hardware thing.

Koen