Re: poor tft display/misconfiguration. some hints?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:19:17PM +0100, Koen Vermeer wrote:
> Op di 04-01-2005, om 00:06 schreef Leonardo Canducci:
> > quite strange: driver is i830 (lsmod output) and not i810 (not even
> > compiled).
>
> i830 is the drm driver from the kernel. Don't worry about it; it'll be
> replaced by the i915 in the future. A much better name, don't you think?
> :-)

so why not calling it i830 in XF86Config-4? (I've even tried changing
i810 with i830 and of course it doesn't work).

> You can check the output of /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see if the i810
> driver loads without problems.
no EE entries. so I think it's ok.

> > Since intel855gm graphics adapter is quite common in centrino laptops I'd
> >  like some advice from other users.
>
> I think you have to be somewhat more precise. I have the 855GME chipset,
> and I'm happy with the 'performance'. My XF86Config-4 looks like the
> sections you quoted. But there is more in there, ofcourse.
> As long as you run your LCD on its native resolution, the quality should
> be OK. If not, it might be the screen itself.

of course I use native resolution. and I'm not saying that my problem is
related to the xfree module. it may sound quite vague but the tft issues
I'm talking about are:

- colors are not natural at all
- and detail of my pictures is really poor (compared to the 17" tft I
  use in my desktop)
- my major regret is that I can't tweak any display setting as I could
  in the other TFT disply, and try to fix things up

is there some tool to tweak brightness/color/contrast/ecc. for a
laptop's tft?

thanks.

--
Leonardo Canducci