Re: Installation on Fujitsu Siemens S7020 SATA

>>I am trying to install the stable release of Debain 3.1 r0a on a
>>Fujitsu Siemens S7020 and have the problem that the SATA disk is not
>>recognized. The hardware should be supported as I can boot with
>>Knoppix and can access the disk.
>
> I believe that the most recent KNOPPIX uses a 2.6-kernel, which in
> general has better hardware support, including SATA. The default kernel
> in Debian Stable is 2.4.27
>
> Did you try installing Debian using a 2.6-kernel?
> Boot like this:
> Press F1 for help, or Enter to boot: linux26

Yes I have tried the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernel. I also tried the
experimental Images but all show the same result. As soon as it comes to
partitioning of the hard disk the installation routine tells that there
is no hard disk available.

I will probably have to recompile the kernel for my notebook. Is there a
good description of how to do this and how do I build a installation
image out of this?

br Michael