Re: (SOLVED) Configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote on Dec, 11:
> I'm trying (unsucessfully) to configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342,
> with  Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, installed. I wonder if someone could
> kick me to the right direction.

[...]

It was simpler than I expected:

1. dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base, chose ALSA.
2. sudo aptitude install alsa-utils
3. alsaconf, accepted all defaults. Found snd_es18xx.
4. Appended snd_es18xx to /etc/modules: udev doesn't detect it at boot.

Played a CD with xmms (first configured its audio output to ALSA, of course)
without problems.

I'm intrigued with gxine. I changed audio.driver:alsa, started it and tried to
listen to streaming audio: no sound at all. strace showed that it was looping
on write to a unix socket. Just to make sure, reverted to OSS and tried the
same stream: sound as expected.

Apologies for having wasted bandwidth
Paulo