Configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342

Hi,

I'm trying (unsucessfully) to configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342, with
Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, installed. I wonder if someone could kick me
to the right direction.

With OSS, I put sb in /etc/modules, and in /etc/modprobe.conf: io=0x200 irq=5
dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330. sb reports a ES1879 card.

I tried:

1. Install linux-sound-base, dpkg-reconfigure it, choose ALSA.
2. Install alsa-utils.
3. Reboot the laptop.
4. Run alsaconf. Have it probe es18xx, es1688, sb16 and sb8. Ask it not to try
   all combinations. It said it found es18xx, but strangely /proc/interrupts
   displayed it on irq 10 (sb found it at irq 5).
5. Run alsamixer, set master level to 75%.
6. Run gxine and tried to tune to some radio station (WKCR): no sound and
   gxine hang.  Tried other streaming sources: same mute behaviour.

Just to make sure, reverted to OSS:

1. dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base, choose OSS.
2. Purge alsa-utils.
3. Restore sb to /etc/modules again.
4. Wasn't quite sure which modules to remove, in which order, so rebooted the
   laptop.
5. gxine working Ok again.

I wouldn't want to bother you guys with such down-the-beaten-path (not for me)
problem, but my googling wasn't enough to bring some light. Could somebody at
least point me to some document where I can get leads on this problem ?

Thanks for your attention
Paulo