Debian on an IBM ThinkPad t42(p)?

Hello folks,

   I'm currently considering to switch from my current Apple iBook 2.2
to an IBM ThinkPad t42. As far as I'm going to buy an used model I'm
currently not sure if it's an ThinkPad t42 or t42p, here are some
technical details I currently know about the notebook:

	. CPU:		Intel Pentium M (Centrino) at 1700MHz
	. RAM:		512MB
	. Optical:	CD/CD-RW & DVD (combo, I believe)
	. HDD:		60GB
	. Monitor:	14.1 inch (I believe)

   Maybe someone who already owns the above notebook model can give me
some details about which IBM ThinkPad we're currently talking about (if
it's the ThinkPad t42 or t42p "performance").

   Furthermore which should be the price for such an _used_ ThinkPad
model? I've heard that it may cost about 1.900 EUR _new_ so an used
model may be around 800-900 EUR, IMHO?

   What about Debian GNU/Linux on such a machine? I found some
interesting tutorials that explain how to install and configure Debian
on the t42 -- The notebook seems to be quite GNU/Linux-friendly, any
real-life experiences?

   In poor words: I'm looking for a stable hardware alternative to my
current Apple iBook which is becoming bit slow for advanced
applications; The ThinkPad series seems to be the most indicated
solution. I would just like to know how satisfied are current Debian
users with their ThinkPad in order to know if this notebook is worth
it's money.

   Thanks in advance for feedback.
Best regards,

 I.

P.S. I'm currently off-list so please Cc: me on each reply, thanks.

--
   .''`.   Ivo Marino <eim@mentors.debian.net>
  : :' :   irc.FreeNode.net chan #debian-mentors