Re: Debian on an IBM ThinkPad t42(p)?

2005/12/1, Ivo Marino <eim@mentors.debian.net>:
> Hello folks,
>
>    I'm currently considering to switch from my current Apple iBook 2.2
> to an IBM ThinkPad t42. As far as I'm going to buy an used model I'm
> currently not sure if it's an ThinkPad t42 or t42p, here are some
> technical details I currently know about the notebook:
>
>         . CPU:          Intel Pentium M (Centrino) at 1700MHz
>         . RAM:          512MB
>         . Optical:      CD/CD-RW & DVD (combo, I believe)
>         . HDD:          60GB
>         . Monitor:      14.1 inch (I believe)
>
>    Maybe someone who already owns the above notebook model can give me
> some details about which IBM ThinkPad we're currently talking about (if
> it's the ThinkPad t42 or t42p "performance").
The information you given is not enough to make it clear which model
we are talking about.
But I guess it might be T42p.

>    What about Debian GNU/Linux on such a machine? I found some
> interesting tutorials that explain how to install and configure Debian
> on the t42 -- The notebook seems to be quite GNU/Linux-friendly, any
> real-life experiences?

It works perfectly.Very stable.(2372-8zh)
Status
Working: USB, ethernet, sound, display, Fn-F*/Control buttons (STR,STD
works with radeon driver), Ultra-Nav,Power Management
(ACPI),Speedstep,Wireless(ipw2200),CDRW/DVD,irda
Untested: PCMCIA(I dont have pcmcia card)
Unconfigured: Modem(try a lot of drivers, but failed...)