Re: USB devices dead after APM suspend on kernel 2.6.14-2-686

Hi Martin,

> > > I have Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, installed on a Fujitsu
> > > Lifebook E342 laptop. When it comes back from APM suspend, the USB
> > > devices (a 4-port hub and a mouse) are not brought up, and lsusb
> > > (or any access to /proc/bus/usb) hangs. This doesn't happen with a
> > > 2.6.8-2-686 kernel which I also have installed. If my memory serves
> > > me right, this problem started with 2.6.14 kernels.

> It has been said often, at least i read it often, that usb is not
> suspend safe. The way to go probably would be to get everything that
> remotely is linked to usb removed from your kernel (as modules) before
> suspend and get it loaded back as soon as you've finished resuming.

I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try your suggestion. I
imagine that it's just a question of dropping scripts in the appropriate places
under /etc/apm, right ?

But somehow, it seems to me that this shouldn't need to be done manually. I
don't have a clear picture of what happens between kernel, APM module and USB
modules during an APM suspend/resume, but I have a feeling that udev (as a
hotplug replacement) should handle this.

Thanks a lot for your answer, Martin !

Paulo