Re: Automatic removing of unneeded .deb files?

Marvin Renich wrote:
> Matej:  Can you modify your script to only remove not-installed .debs,
> leaving .debs for removed-but-not-purged and not-configured packages
> alone?  Accept my thanks in advance if you feel like doing it.

I don't know how to get not-configured packages from aptitude (why not just
run dpkg --configure -a before running midclean -- I guess that you really
shouldn't do any cleaning operations when you do not have system in 100%
shape anyway), but removed-but-not-purged packages are preserved in this
version (which is also X/MIT licensed).

> Also, I'm not fluent in python, but it looks like the line
>     if not(item[0][0] in currNames) and not(item[0][1] in currVersions):
> allows item[0][1] to match a version in currVersions for a different
> package.  Is that correct?  Also, the logic should probably be
> not(a and b) rather than not(a) and not(b), where b is item[0][1] ==
> corresponding-element-of-currVersions.

I have now used different method of finding differences, so this is not
relevant anymore. And yes, that if was probably wrong.

> I also noticed that the aptitude search truncated the version number,
> which could have detrimental effects.

Thanks for noticing that -- it should be OK now ('#' character in formatting
field).

Matej

God is not worried about my financial situation.